MEXA has prepared a report on the level of operations in the Export Sector yesterday 28th April 2021, under the Heavy Rainfall Warning.
- Companies operational:
- The sector has registered 87% of export activities on this specific day.
- Export Turnover and employment: It is interesting to note that the companies which have been operational on this day, account for approximatively 87% of the total annual turnover of export sector, and 72% of total employment.
- These employers have provided company transport to ensure the safe movement of the employees from and to the factory.
- The level of absenteeism among these companies has been of 2-3% on average and this is attributed mainly to the absence of the employees who live in the high-risk areas with heavy rainfall. It is understandable that these employees could not report to work for safety reasons.
- Companies which were closed:
- Few companies, representing 13% of the export sector at large, have decided to remain closed.
- Altogether, these companies generate an annual turnover of approximately 13% of the total exports and employs some 12% of the sector’s total workforce.
- The main reasons behind the closure were among the following:
- In some companies, most of their employees live in the high-risks areas.
- In other cases, the company itself is located in the high-risks areas, where there is heavy rainfall.
As a measure of security and bearing in mind the well-being of the employees, these companies have chosen to close operation for one day and asked their employees to stay at home.
- There is a small number of companies which generally do not provide company transport to their employees. These companies were closed as the employees could not come to work due to unavailability of public transport.